Thursday, August 5, 2010

No Magic Bullet.


I'll admit it.

I was hoping for a Magic Bullet.

I thought, maybe, just maybe, the high priced, private pay therapist would have The Answer to solve Patrick's Feeding Riddle.

She has the answer. But its not quick. Its another chapter in my growing book titled Slow But Steady Wins The Race. What ever happened to sprinting?

Here's what she did have. Patience. Thirty-plus years of experience. A calming effect on Patrick. Her patients range in age from 4 months to 13. Her 'graduates' come by to visit her, with donuts and coffee, bagels and tea. And she's got every bottle, sippy cup, straw cup, spoon, toothbrush, and feeding seat imaginable.

In 90 minutes on Monday, we learned more than we ever cared to about swallowing and texture and gram weight of food and gag refluxes. She is a wealth of information.

She has a therapeutic course of treatment that she says works. She taught Jeff and I the first step, beginning with oral stimulation. We use a soft brush along Patrick's gums, first with water, next with milk, last with baby oatmeal. The entire 'routine' takes 7 minutes and we are to do it at home three times a day. So I've now added that to my list of things to do with Patrick during his awake windows, along with his neck exercises, tummy time, bathtime... We are a busy duo!

So will it work? I have no idea, but for $130/hour I sure hope it does.

We go back next week.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment